Meringue Kisses


Meringue Kisses

 Meringue kisses (Merengge) are one of my favorite treats when I was a kid. I used to buy it at a local candy store that sold for PhPesos 2.00 (8-10 tiny meringues a bag). I still remember the shop keeper just pull the bag of meringues where all sorts of candies were suspended up above the ceiling. The hit of sugar in my taste buds with that distinct crunch was oh so good! I don't think I ever shared a bag with a friend that time. Oh well!

I discovered a crunchy-on-the-outside yet chewy-on-the-inside huge meringues in St. Honore bakery in Etobicoke. Unfortunately, they closed out few years ago. I used to be the one who finished their meringues to crumbs for $1.75 each.

Now here's the version of my yummy meringue, enjoy!

 Meringues

4 eggwhites (room temperature)
115g sugar
115g icing sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to300 F. Wipe clean the utensils with paper towel soaked with vinegar. Presence of fat in the utensils will affect the egg whites and won't whip into airy meringues.

Beat egg whites with a whisk attachment until frothy. Beat until soft peaks have formed. Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Making sure that it dissolves/incorporated into the meringue before adding the next. 

Increase the speed to about speed #7 of the stand mixer, and add the icing sugar.

Transfer into piping bag with star tip, and pipe onto parchment-lined baking sheet.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.

Cocoa Almond Meringue Kisses




 xoxo
Mademoiselle Vanilla






Comments