The birth of Mademoiselle Vanilla


What made me create Mademoiselle Vanilla?







Few years back, I got an insatiable interest with everything fondant. I got so hooked looking at the fondant car cake on the internet in 2010, tried to recreate it, but unfortunately with unavoidable dents and lopsided edges in every corner, one would definitely be chopped off if I ever made it to Food Network, let alone throw myself in their parking lot. But, in my humble opinion, I thought it wasn't that bad after all. From then on, I developed a new skill-- cake decorating that is! 

Nobody taught me the how-to's of the real thing (fondant), but then the inner play-doh squeezer in me screams-- "Oh c'mon it's just a fondant sweetheart". Decorating a cake consumes a lot of time, not to mention it drains out your energy in rolling out fondant without proper tools. In my case, I could only use whatever I can get my hands on in my humble kitchen, a glass. Yes, a drinking glass. Rolling out fondant can be tricky and not to mention tiring, especially with just a drinking glass instead of the rolling pin. But hey, I was really happy with my newfound skill! 

Most of the cakes I made were given as a gift, mainly just to unleash my creativity.  But then #cakeproblems popped by and then I realized that by making it actually cost a lot more than I intended to. This is one of those moments amateur cake artist had to face. Those were the early years when I was just too excited to bake and decorate a cake, and didn't care. My amateur days. 

Picture at the center were the first three-tier chocolate almond and vanilla sponge cake I made as a gift. The entire ballerina cake topper was made out of gumpaste, all edible from head to toe. And if my memory serves me well, I made the ballerina cake topper for entire 4 hours (breaks not included!) by just referring to the picture off the small screen on my Blackberry phone. 

So years had gone, I have never waivered in making sweets and decorating cakes. I photographed my creations using my dSLR camera two years ago, and saved the pictures for future use. And sure enough, fast forward to that future (which is today), everything in the universe conspire to make the things I need and want to happen (just keep the faith).

..so the birth of Mademoiselle Vanilla.














Comments